1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Route to the Alps

Discussion in 'Tesla Model S' started by JonnyHelen, Jan 21, 2016.

1. timsk

timsk Active Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Just to confirm now from experience, the extension lead from RS Components linked above is ideal for charging a Tesla in France. It deals perfectly with the vagaries of the UMC, allowing me to reverse the polarity of the connection as required when the UMC complains, as well as giving an extra 10m of reach of course.

2. AndyMc

AndyMc Active Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Timsk. Can I just confirm understood all this properly in advance of our Summer trip to Europe?

1. Get the Tesla Europe Schuko adapter to connect to UMC
    2. Get the RS extension lead 1161590 | Type F - German Schuko 1 Gang Power distribution unit 10m Cable, 16A, 230 V | brennenstuhl
    3. You can then plug the extension into a domestic socket in France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy wherever; plug the Tesla Schuko into the extension; and the UMC into the Tesla Schuko
    4. If the polarity is the wrong way around in France you unplug the Tesla Schuko from the extension and turn it around and hey presto it works?

JimmyC and GreyDad like this.
  3. arg

arg Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Exactly so.
    Outside France you don't need it, since the German sockets you can plug in either way up anyhow, but in France they only go one way - hence this cable effectively turns a French socket into a German one.

timsk, Parax, JimmyC and 2 others like this.
  4. GreyDad

GreyDad Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Thanks for the summary @AndyMc I was about to post the same thing!

Very helpful, everyone, looks like a great solution, off to order it all now!

5. AndyMc

AndyMc Active Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Thanks to @arg amd @timsk . They found the cable and tried it out. I only asked a question about it!

I might propose an article (or more likely an edit to an existing article) on Teslapedia about this.

GreyDad likes this.
  6. GreyDad

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    I was thanking you for the summary, the 'everyone' bit was for arg and timsk ;)

I've ordered the Shuko extension, will be here tomorrow!

Parax likes this.
  7. Mrclox

Mrclox Active Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Going to do this route myself next month. I plan to charge up at folkestone and top up if necessary at calais, then stop at St Quentin where there is chademo usable with the KiWhi card. Then onto chalons. If both the chargers at chalons are unavailable t h en I will limp to Reid where t h ere are more. Hope this works in a 90D

8. GreyDad

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Can someone please remind me again what the secret ceremony is you need to go through to get a KiWHi card?

9. Mrclox

Mrclox Active Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Just sign up with your name and the address of their head office. Pay the 20 euros for a card then email them with your address. The cars will arrive a week or so later.

GreyDad likes this.
  10. Mrclox

Mrclox Active Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Cars = card

11. Mark B

Mark B Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    I had to have to two goes at it. I registered and never received the card. After asking where it was, I was asked to register again with a different e-mail address. I did this, paid for the card, and included the "Identifiant commercant" number (which the website produces when you pay for the card) in the e-mail giving them my name and address. I received a confirming e-mail from "Green Park Solutions" who seem to have some link to KiWhiPass.

I have also got a card from Sodetrel to access the Corri-door network that is being built along the motorways. You have to pay for the power, but it should be a good network once finished. It's billed to your credit card monthly. The first Sodetrel card got lost in the post.

Here is the instruction from KiWhiPass about using their address.

Date: 14 January 2016 at 09:24:45 GMT
    To:
    Subject: RE: Inscription depuis l'Angleterre

Bonjour,
    Notre formulaire d'inscription aujourd'hui, a quelques limitations pour nos utilisateurs étrangers (hors France).

Pour résoudre votre problème, je vous invite lors de votre inscription sur le site www.kiwhipass.fr , à commander votre carte et à entrer dans le champ "adresse", celle de notre société indiquée ci-dessous :

KiWhi Pass Solutions
    10, allée Louis Vincent
    53000 LAVAL
    FRANCE

Merci de nous envoyer votre adresse personnelle et votre pays de résidence suite à ce mail pour la livraison de la carte.
    Cette solution provisoire n'affectera pas la qualité de nos services. Si vous décidez de souscrire à KiWhi, votre carte sera livrée à votre adresse personnelle que nous avons bien réceptionnée.

KiWhi Pass prévoit une ouverture prochainement pour l'enregistrement des personnes qui ne résident pas en France, pour offrir la meilleure expérience à nos clients étrangers.
    Notre équipe d'assistance vous informera une fois que vous aurez la capacité d'entrer votre adresse dans votre espace KiWhi.

KiWhi Pass vous remercie pour votre retour d'information de valeur.
    Nous vous souhaitons un séjour agréable en France.

N'hésitez pas à revenir vers nous pour d'autres informations.

Cordialement,

Le support KiWhi Pass
    The KiWhi Pass support
    KiWhi Pass Solutions
    10, allée Louis Vincent
    53000 LAVAL
    Une solution

GreyDad likes this.
  12. timsk

timsk Active Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    The Tesla UMC adaptor that I've got with a schuko plug on it is specifically called a "France schuko" adaptor in the Tesla accessories catalogue. I think the only difference between this one and the vanilla schuko adaptor in the same catalogue is the polarity on the pins in the schuko plug, and that Tesla expect travelers in the France (and presumably also French Tesla owners) to carry both schuko adaptors, and use whichever one happens to work with the socket in question.

The RS extension lead provides a cheaper and more helpful way to get the same result.

I've only ever been talking about France here, and as I understand it this polarity problem is specifically French, at least as fast s western Europe is concerned.

Be aware that Switzerland and Italy each have their own different domestic sockets, so the schuko extension lead will be of limited use there (although Italy has a mix of schuko and its own kind of socket, so you might just get lucky with the schuko extension lead). You can however get a Tesla UMC connector for each of those countries.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  13. nickk

nickk New Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Hi Jonny
    Thanks for that analysis really interesting. Critical thing i the time of day, Paris can be a traffic nightmare ! Check on google maps with traffic switched on and the time of day you are planning to travel at.

14. nickk

nickk New Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    One more factor in favour of the Senlis route - word has it they are turning it into an 8 bay SC station.

15. timsk

timsk Active Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Just a few more data points for this thread:
    • Calais to Châlons-en-Champagne is easy enough to do in an 85D without diverting to Lille. I used just under 85% of charge each way, which meant I had to drop below 110km/h for a good stretch on the way back because I didn't have enough reserve charge, but the trip consumption app is very reliable.
    • Châlons to Beauné is ~25km shorter than Calais to Châlons, so that too ought to be perfectly doable.
    • Châlons has 4 bays, not just 2, so feel free to hog one of them for 90 minutes if you need to @JonnyHelen. :)
    • Having just been through France and Switzerland down to Rimini, I've confirmed to myself that the limiting factor on doing very long journeys isn't the car but my capacity for staying awake.

16. mgboyes

mgboyes Well-Known Member

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210, Tesla Model X
    I'll be driving from Sevenoaks to Samoens in August.

I'll charge at Folkestone while we have breakfast, Chalons while we have lunch, and Beaune while we have dinner.

You really have nothing to fear making a 200 mile hop with a 95% charged car. Just pay attention to the trip energy predictor and all will be fine.

timsk likes this.
  17. Mark B

Mark B Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    If I were going to Samoens I wouldn't start from Sevenoaks!

Iain Mackie likes this.
  18. wes

wes Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    As it is now coming up to the summer holidays and i am planning my holiday travelling through France to Italy, does anybody have any further tips or suggestions to help with the travel plans. I am using EV trip planner which i think is really good and just about to purchase the additional adaptors for charging and charge cards. I briefly spoke to a chap once whilst at the Northampton supercharger who was very helpful and had travelled to Europe a few times. So i am now thinking more people have travelled across Europe and may have additional tips for us newbies.

19. nickk

nickk New Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    France Update - Senlis is 8 bays, and the Calais one by the Inter Hotel (not in the terminal) is now 6 bays. Brive being updated now 2, will be 6 or 8.

20. timsk

timsk Active Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    I did exactly this trip at Easter. Here's a few things that spring to mind:
    • Calais to Châlons-en-Champagne is perfectly doable non-stop, but it took about 85% of my P85D battery, and that was cruising only at 110km/h.
    • It's much cheaper to travel through Belgium and Luxembourg down to Nancy (no tolls) rather than through France, but it's slightly longer and frequently much more congested. You pays your money, you takes your choice.
    • France has a reasonable supercharger network, albeit with some gaps, and CHAdeMO coverage is patchy and not especially reliable. Italy has more gaps in its supercharger network — like the entire country south of Arezzo! — and even CHAdeMOs are very thin on the ground. Plan carefully, and try to arrange destination charging if at all possible.
    • Most public chargers in Italy that I found were 22kW Type 2s, so only really useful as a destination charger if you're planning a day trip somewhere.

Iain Mackie likes this.