1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Second EV - smart Fortwo Electric Drive

Discussion in 'Ice Breakers' started by Mike Etchells, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Mike Etchells

Mike Etchells Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    After me praising the benefits of EV's after 8 months in my Nissan Leaf my wife took the plunge. She has taken delivery of a 2014 smart ForTwo Electric Drive.
    We collected the car today from Birmingham and drove it the 55 miles to Shropshire. The car was charged to 100% when we started, and after 55 miles to home the gauge was showing 22% with 19 miles remaining. The outside temperature was 10 degrees C.
    In order to charge from the tethered (32A) Pod Point at home I purchased a 'Type 1 to Type 2 Converter' lead from EV Cables. This seems to be working fine.
    Unfortunately the smart doesn't have the (£1295!) optional 22Kw charger. However, it charges at 15amps, so a full charge should take around 4.5 hours. Based on charging at the Economy 7 'cheap rate' this should cost around £1. Not bad for around 60 miles range!
    It's early days yet; I'll post again when I get another chance to drive it!

2. ScottC

ScottC New Member

EV:
    Renault ZOE
    Awesome! Daughter has been wanting one of these, her finances get in the way though:(

Pics would be much admired!

3. Electric Streets com

Electric Streets com New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
  4. Grumpy-b

Grumpy-b Well-Known Member

EV:
    Citroen Berlingo électrique
    I have a Converted Smart 451 and I just love it. Its not as quick as the genuine version but with the main battery pack under the floor/seats, they are like driving a go cart. All too easy to go too quick round corners. I was impressed by the Smart version when I took one out. Its well screwed together. In Canada where they have been sold for some time, a lot of users have had very serious power and range issues with the very severe cold weather, way down into -20c. But I dont think we will have such problems here.
    The use of the inner panel of the lower tailgate for cable storage is brilliant.
    The one anoying thing (I modified it on mine) is the internal rear view mirror. Im just uner 6ft and it blocks a lot of forward view and is not great behind. I found a post on a site showing how to simply shorten it. Ten minutes with a hacksaw and a self tapping screw and its about 35 to 40mm shorter, you cant see the join and it makes it much easier to see the road etc.

5. Mike Etchells

Mike Etchells Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Here are some pictures of my wife's smart ForTwo Electric Drive. smart_ED1.jpg smart_ED2.jpg smart_ED3.jpg

adrian likes this.
  6. AndrewKerry

AndrewKerry New Member

Hope you like it. I am a massive fan of the smart ed we had some from smart 3rd gen when they came out we used them as run abouts. Quick little things and lasted around Birmingham for ages. We have a 63 plate blue one in the showroom which I would love if it was only for the fact it has 2 seats! There is going to be a new ed for both models coming.

Mike Etchells likes this.
  7. Rory166

Rory166 Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan e-NV200
    Just searched for a price. Nada. Are they too good to sell to the public? I love the idea of a 22kW built in charger, pricey I bet.

8. richtrash

richtrash I3 Rex, Solar Orange, Suite, DC Prep

I'm still thinking about converting my 450, I love the little car and it's so easy to maintain, just fitted a glass roof got panoramic visibility now :D

9. BlackLeaf

BlackLeaf Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    There's one on autotrader at £9,989 for a 63 plate.

10. Grumpy-b

EV:
    You have to do a conversion because you want to. Its not cheap to convert, especially if using new parts. So it makes little sense to convert a low value car in the first place, unless you love it and want to keep it. If you ever sold it you would not get your investment back and not everyone sees your passion for a car in the same way. I do keep a lot of new and used parts, including some ready made 451 gearbox to HPEVS ac series adaptor plates.

11. AndrewKerry

AndrewKerry New Member

The one we have is £9000 ish I thin not sure if it has been put up yet. They are very rare I know of 3 in the localish area. They seem to sell quick and never really had any problems with them.

12. Grumpy-b

EV:
    Do be aware, they were/are sold both with and without battery packs, so a purchaser has to confirm that they also dont have a battery lease cost on top.

Possibly Related Discussions… - Second smart Fortwo
  1. david fox
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Tom in Tring
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. GeoffT
    Replies:
    Views: