1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

[Sep 9, 2014] Tesla Roadster - Land's End to John o' Groats rally (Cornwall)

Discussion in 'Confirmed EV Events and Meetings' started by Kevin Sharpe, Jun 11, 2014.

Tesla Roadster - Land's End to John o' Groats rally
Start Date: Sep 9, 2014 09:00 AM
End Date: Sep 10, 2014 09:00 AM
Time Zone: Europe/London +01:00 BST

Sennen
Cornwall TR19 7AA

Posted By: Kevin Sharpe

Confirmed Attendees: 1
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 1
The following users have RSVP'd "Maybe":
  1. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Non Member

Three years ago @dpeilow and I drove from John o' Groats to Land's End in ~30 hours in my Tesla Roadster using public charging.

http://zerocarbonworld.org/news/landmark-trip-attracts-national-media

This year we hope that 5+ Roadsters will make the reverse trip from Land's End to John o' Groats in ~24 hours using public charging. Prizes for the quickest trip time and lowest energy consumption will be given. The route and charging strategy are up to the teams and IMO this is where the event will be won or lost.

The exact date is to be confirmed but I wanted to get a place holder out there and suggested start dates are Tuesday 9th September and Tuesday 16th September.

ZCW hope to offer subsidised accommodation with slow charging for the nights before and after the event.

2. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Non Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  3. PMC Paul

PMC Paul Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Would any Model S owners be welcome?

There's still a big question mark hanging over finalising my deal, but if everything lines up, that's the kind if time I hope to go for the Guinness record attempt. It would be comforting to know I was sharing the journey with drivers of your experience.:)

4. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Non Member

We wan't to keep this for Roadsters at this time to minimise the start/end charging and accommodation logistics. I also want to start a series of annual competitions between classes of identical cars because that will be a real test of charging/driving strategy.

If a ride comes up in a Roadster I'll let you know :)

I also personally think a Model S should try and blow away our times as soon as the SuperCharger network is half decent (or you have a CHAdeMO adaptor)... if you drive it today you'll probably have the same (or even worse) journey times as the Roadster and I don't think that's a message we want to promote to the car buying public.

5. Paul

Paul Speak EV Founder Speak EV Supporter

If there's room for a +1 then I'd love to somehow be involved (in my Speak EV capacity, of course). :)

6. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Non Member

You're #2 on the list :)

7. Paul

Paul Speak EV Founder Speak EV Supporter

I also have a clean full UK driving license, and a history of scaring motoring journalists. (Not sure if that's good or bad?!).

8. Paul_Moxhay

Paul_Moxhay Non Member

Kevin, AFAIK, that would make this a race and you might run the real risk of prosecution for holding a race on public roads. Also racing on public roads would invalidate all insurances.

Perhaps this aspect should be reviewed ;)

I wish I had a Roadster! I have experience of doing long trips in a Roadster (hint, hint!). I could ask Markus for a reference :)

Kevin Sharpe likes this.
  9. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Non Member

I checked this with the organisers of the British Road Rallying LEJOG event. I was told that the fact that we will spend 50% of our time stationary (charging), take different routes, and have different start times qualifies this as an endurance event not a race. I'm also in discussions with my insurers and may modify our goals once I have their comments :)

Paul_Moxhay likes this.
  10. Eunicholas

Eunicholas Well-Known Member

Sounds so cool

11. Eunicholas

Eunicholas Well-Known Member

I wonder how long it would take a leaf to do the trip

12. Arch

Arch Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadster
    I'm in .. (subject to a few caveats !)

<Gulp>

Kevin Sharpe likes this.
  13. Mark Sanders

Mark Sanders Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Roadster
    Sorry, but I have to dip out .. but I will follow with interest (probably from Korea / Taiwan).

Still I'd love to meet up with all fellow (and potential / past) Roadster owners. We have a shared interest .. especially on keeping them going once out of warrantee. I have a proposal about servicing/repairs to group discuss, but not yet publicly.

Kevin Sharpe likes this.
  14. Edd Beesley

Edd Beesley Moderator

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    Any room for number 3......? :cool:

15. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Non Member

Absolutely no promises because I don't know whether anyone has spare seats... but if they do you're number three on the list :)

16. Edd Beesley

Edd Beesley Moderator

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    Thanks Kevin :)

17. Paul_Moxhay

Paul_Moxhay Non Member

If I can help out in anyway just ask... Web Support? Social media? Media support in general? Glympse management!

I would love to help in some way but don't actually want to be in a car doing the trip.

Kevin Sharpe likes this.
  18. Alexander Sims

Alexander Sims Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Tesla Roadster
    I'm out of warranty already and did not opt for the extended warranty... Perhaps a foolish mistake but with only having had one issue that Ive since learned to manage with my driving habits, it was difficult to justify putting down the money to 'hope' something went wrong so the warranty was justified. Were not just talking a few hundred pounds here! Quite a few Thousand :-0

19. Alexander Sims

Alexander Sims Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Tesla Roadster
    Sorry, to get back on topic, I should be around for this and I've put it in my diary.

As always, schedules with work can change so cannot 100% confirm my entry however I am seriously keen and will be there if possible.

Kevin Sharpe likes this.
  20. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Non Member