1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Carlos revive the i-MiEV?

Discussion in 'General Mitsubishi EV Discussion' started by richardglover, May 29, 2016.

1. richardglover

richardglover Leaf lover

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah Rex, Nissan LEAF 24
    At launch the Nissan Leaf was reassuringly expensive.
    On the other hand the Mitsubishi i-MiEV was stupidly expensive.
    The Leaf deserves to press on and become an iconic vehicle.
    But does the i-MiEV deserve a second chance?

2. MoonCat

MoonCat Well-Known Member

It was hardly a great seller, even when Citroen reduced the price to £12k.

It was fugly though. A small EV hatchback as good as the i-miev in less ugly guise would sell if price right. I think there's potential in an updated i-miev.

richardglover likes this.
  3. smartie

smartie Well-Known Member

No - that will set back the image of EVs years.

4. billysielu

billysielu Vauxhall Astra

Nothing wrong with making a small car, just don't make it weird.

MoonCat likes this.
  5. JWilde

JWilde Well-Known Member

If it looked more like the new smart car then yes. If it looked more like the smart roadster... I'd buy one.

MoonCat likes this.
  6. Wulnoth

Wulnoth Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi i MiEV
    I bought mine over the Leaf because it looked like a real car and not a bit weird.

Yes is the answer, but how about the enhanced range we heard so much about two or three years ago ?

It is the most efficient electric car available, but with a larger battery, say 40 kWhs of new tech batteries and some kind of heat exchanger for the winter, who knows what real world range might be achieved, and a little more power, not a lot more, it would not be such a liability on the motorways.

Oh and if Mitsubishi want another revenue stream, how about selling the car to home inverter system available in Japan so that the 40kWh battery can back up our home electrics.

KenB likes this.
  7. MoonCat

Not a quick tickling of the i-miev, I meant a total new body shell in modern guise. The specs aren't actually that bad and would do for a small city car. Just update the body panels into a modern design similar to a Peugeot 106, Renault Twingo etc.

It should be cheapish to do. Ford have been doing stuff like that for years. Brand new bodyshell on 10 year old running gear. An 80 mile city EV is absolutely fine. If they could improve on the battery cells, they might increase that without bumping costs up too much.

It has potential as a cheap, small EV and thus not expensive.

8. Siraff

Siraff Well-Known Member

I think there's legs in this. I for one would certainly like a small city car size with around 80-100kw motor and at least 40kWh battery or a rex option. Not bothered about the spec - it can be as basic as it likes but power and range need to be realistic for people to want one.

If it's a town car only it's a second car and that means it needs to be really cheap. It also means it needs less range and power - 60kw and 25-30kWh would be good.

Any ev these days should be using a heat pump. There's really no reason not to.

9. richardglover

richardglover Leaf lover

EV:
    As with other threads I start there various thoughts behind it.
    I test drove an ion and nearly purchased an i-miev but in both cases what I offered was short at the time (about a year ago). It is a neat little car and how else would you design a RWD small 5 door hatchback EV.
    With little effort and all three marques (Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi) behind it, a really sensible price and improved styling (strictly cosmetic) , it could go places.
    Forget the original price, I am thinking under £10k.

Siraff likes this.
  10. MoonCat

A electric C1, 106 or Aygo type vehicle?

Dead basic spec, cheap reliable running gear (already exists) and a keen price. Job done.

SeanW and Siraff like this.
  11. Siraff

Siraff Well-Known Member

Under £10k would be my thinking aswell. The original smart was a bit short on substance but the general idea of it was so right it sold well. For me the i-miev is just a stretched four seat version. It makes a lot of sense as a town car but the original price was just silly. It put it out of reach of a lot of people and put it against some very nice stuff at the time - even if you include running costs it was a rival on price for things that should have been three times the price.
    I also think there should be an ice version - bear with me here.
    If they launched the ev and ice at the same time, same price and same power it would be a straight up contest between people wanting range and people wanting smooth, quiet and response. I would say the ev would outsell the ice by a massive margin and it would send a very strong message to makers about which way they should be going.

richardglover and MoonCat like this.
  12. richardglover

richardglover Leaf lover

EV:
    I like that, I like it a lot.
    Sort of town and country models.

13. misterbleepy

misterbleepy Active Member

EV:
    Peogeot iOn
    There was an ICE version of the i-MiEV - not sure about the relative sales figures, only seen a couple in this country, but I think it was JDM only.
    The US version of the i-MiEV does look better, as they made it wider, so it looks a bit more 'normal'...

Siraff likes this.
  14. Wulnoth

Wulnoth Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi i MiEV
    I have little to add to the debate, except perhaps a more drag efficient body would be nice, not that I don't find the quirky jelly bean shape has some merit.

I have today done a 95.2 mile run (from fully charged to ---) so an enhanced battery, say 40kWh would make anywhere in the U.K. accessible, there are at the moment a few places that are not accessible even with the Ecotricity rapids.

This is the second time since June 2013 that I have achieved 95+ miles on a single charge, I apologise to anyone that I inconvenienced in so doing.

AndyK, richardglover and ElectricIan like this.
  15. MoonCat

Go on how slow? :cautious:

16. stuart

stuart Active Member

Mooncat how much does your leaf weigh.

17. Wulnoth

Wulnoth Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi i MiEV
    In quiet country lanes about 25 mph but mostly at 30-45 mph, some in 50/60 mph areas, but everyone seemed pretty laid back today, I even overtook someone !

MoonCat likes this.
  18. billysielu

billysielu Vauxhall Astra

19. Siraff

Siraff Well-Known Member

Great names. Bev = town. Ice = country. Rex = town+country. :)

20. stuart

stuart Active Member

How many Leaf owners constantly run four passengers.