1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

So what is "Car-Net"...?

Discussion in 'General VW EV Forum' started by Sprint, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Sprint

Sprint Member

HI All

ok, I had a test drive today of a GTE, and LOVED it.. am now seriously considering a purchase, (assuming I can sort power out to my car park, but that's another story), but while at the dealership, i asked about the whole "car-net" thing... No one really understood it, or was able to explain it to it... 0_o Yeah, I know right :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, what I'm trying to understand is... what exactly is it? Does the car have built in connectivity, like a 4G cellular connection, or (as the sales guys suggested) does it rely on your phones internet connection? (which would surely defeat the purpose of most features???)

Also, is it like Tesla, where its included in the purchase price of the car, and Tesla own the relationship between o2 and the car, and you, the owner, never get involved, no renewal fees, ech... or is there a subscription model?

And other than being able to connect to the car, check the battery, unlock the car ech, what features do you get with it? None of the literature seems to clearly explain, and the dealership had no idea... with that exception, they were really good, and let me take it on a 90 mile test drive, which included me simulating my average morning commute, which proved I'd only need to use hybrid mode for 3 miles, and could do the rest of the commute in eMode.

Appreciate the feed back as ever :)

Thanks all! :D

2. MrPaulus

MrPaulus Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    You're right, it is a confusing topic. As far as I understand, there is a SIM card in the car which gives it a permanent internet connection. This allows you to communicate with the car using an app on your phone so you can check the vehicle status. Most usefully, you can change the charging behaviour, departure time, pre-heating, and check the charge status.

Car-net is not the same as App Connect, which allows you to put certain functions of your smartphone on the dashboard screen.

As for cost, I think it's free for the first Ň∑ear, and then you have to pay an annual subscription for it.

I've been caught out twice when ordering a car. I did a factory order of an Audi A3 when I thought I had ordered the equivalent system, but hadn't. Then, I got a showroom/demonstrator Golf GTE and found that Car-net is specifically not included on demonstrators.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  3. BrianW66

BrianW66 Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Car-net included for 3 years from 1st registration; apart from early dealer cars, renewable on an annual basis. When it works, state of charge, ability to alter charge rate, turn on/off charging, switch on/off A/C or windscreen defrosting, give guidance to car location, along with journey times/distances are the main features.
    We all would wish for electric mile/Kw rate being available as per on an eGolf, as well as improving reliability of Car-net; but given limited nature of integrated SIM or cellular reception, this may be the weakest link.

MrPaulus likes this.
  4. Sprint

Sprint Member

So does anyone know if the cars come with an integrated sim a standard, or is that part of the advance telephone option? Do I then have to buy a sim myself, or is there already one in there that VW provide? Or do you use a 4G USB dongle?..

It just doesn't seem to be clearly spelled out anywhere by VW!!!

(deposit placed btw, collected Friday, very excited! :LOL::LOL:)

5. BrianW66

BrianW66 Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Integrated SIM fitted as standard, for e-Remote; this allows remote switching of charging/heating and cooling/milage and speed records.
    Guide and Inform, is 2nd stage; which I believe you need a USB sick with additional SIM, to allow additional services; given i've got a Pro Nav; I believed I would also get the additional features, but advised after purchasing GTE, this not to be the case due to build date.
    Dealers not well versed on the additional features that the cars have; If the dealers could receive better training and guidance, they could probably save endless head scratching by owners trying to get these systems working.

6. marunga

marunga New Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Hi,

Car-Net is a lame attempt to have a remote control for some functions of the car and also a complete disaster at giving info about the car status.

Mileage is always different from the car's data, lock status is always wrong and, according to this beautiful app, I have my car parked 20 Kms away from where it really is.

Other than that, it's a fine app :)
    rgds
    m