1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Swap 7kW Type2/Type2 cable for longer 3.6kW/7.2kW?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicle Classifieds' started by GeoffT, Jan 10, 2017.

1. GeoffT

GeoffT New Member

My Smart ED was supplied with a Mercedes 22kW charging cable yet the Smart does not have the optional 22kW charger fitted. Accordingly would like to swap my well overspecified (and more expensive) cable for a more modest but longer alternative, ideally 10M or even 15M.

Located South Oxfordshire.

TIA - GeoffT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. dpmgn46

dpmgn46 open source sustainable company

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Hi Geoff,
    I have a Tesla MS arriving next week and looking for a type s- type 2 cable, if you can't or haven't found a swap I am looking to buy such a cable for my home charger.
    Thought I would ask as you may wish to sell then buy your other cable?

3. GeoffT

GeoffT New Member

That certainly sounds good to me. Let me check the length of my 22kW cable and I'll look into relative prices.

4. dpmgn46

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Thankyou Geoff, my spelling mistake above, I meant a Female Type 2 - Male Type 2 for the MS, due in this Thursday (my home Chargemaster is 32a single phase unit)

5. GeoffT

GeoffT New Member

Apologies if I am in error. I am new to the EV game and still feeling my way. All I can say is the cable is around 1" in diameter, weighs a lot, and is much more bulky than the few 7kW cables I've encountered. It is also a fully wired cable with all pins/receptacles present and connected unlike others I've seen which have some blank holes.

Searching on the Mennekes part No. produces no meaningful hits as they are now using the 362XX nomenclature and I unable to locate a support/obsolete products section on their 'design over content' Web site. However Googling the Mercedes part number of this cable No. A0005832098 produces several hits, all of which describe it as a 22kW, 3-phase cable, albeit not always in English. These also reveal the cable is 4M long. Here's just a couple:

SMART Charger cable for Wallbox and public Charging stations 4Meter by Mennekes | eBay
    CABLU DE INCARCARE 32A 22KW 4M / Autoklass Market

And page 17 of the (German) SmartED price list thus (which translates to 'Charging cable for wallbox and public charging stations (faster charging, mode 3, 3-phase)':
    [​IMG]

More confusingly still Wikipedia describes 3P+N+E as 3Phase.

6. Jack

Jack Moderator

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    The cable should be 5G marked for 3 phase, if its 5G then you have 22kW. It looks suspiciously like the BMW cable but in blue. A single phase cable is 3G marked, I may have confused markings in the first instance, happy to be corrected.

7. GeoffT

GeoffT New Member

I'll have a look at the cable itself tomorrow. Too cold now...

Better still, a blown up section of the original photo reveals all:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  8. Jack

Jack Moderator

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    That indeed looks like 3 phase, apologies for my earlier statement. I have removed my comment.

9. dpmgn46

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    How much do you want for the cable or can I make an offer, naturally if you wish to sell it on?

10. GeoffT

GeoffT New Member

I would like to sell and get the thinner, longer cable. A similar cable to this is £156 inc. VAT from the cheapest supplier I could find, and a 10M single phase cable is £153. Could we say £100 + carriage (which I'll price up a bit later)? I believe the marks on my cable are from sticky tape used to hold it in a coil and should come off easily.

11. dpmgn46

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Hi Geoff, I am based near Evesham so only 1hr or so from you and will give me an excuse to poodle out in the S75.

Sending chat message next, thanks. Might haggle a tiny tiny bit :) Cheapest online (32a) are about £125 inc VAT.

12. GeoffT

GeoffT New Member

Be curious to know where as I could probably get my replacement cheaper there too.

Very happy to haggle. Especially if I could blag a ride in the model S. :)

Evesham is probably the only place in this country that has (had?) a whale's jawbone forming the entrance arch to a car park.