1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Switch to Ecotricity - They're having a larf

Discussion in 'General Charging Discussion' started by John Batty, Jan 9, 2017.

1. John Batty

John Batty Tesla Model S 85D

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Having noted that Ecotricity charges are no longer free, which is fair enough, I decided to investigate switching to Ecotricity for our domestic energy. They offer a £40 annual discount and free use of the Ecotricity network if you contract for Gas and Electricity. So, is it worth it?

No. Even if I needed to use an Ecotricty charger 167 times per year. Based on £6 per charge I'd need to be using their chargers 3 times per week to recoup the additional £1,000 (60%) increased cost of domestic energy at their quoted rates.

Notwithstanding no-one would ever charge that much, Ecotricity have a "fair use policy" of 52 charges per year. So they basically limit the benefit to £312 anyway.

It may well be "green" energy, but it's way too expensive.

2. Tooks

Tooks Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Hey, don't you know it's 2017?! 2016 called and wants its thread back. :)

So, you can do maths, and you've worked out that you're not prepared to pay a premium for ET to supply your home energy.

Who are you with now? How many kWh do you chew through each year charging the Tesla?

3. cah197

cah197 Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Tesla Model S
    We're going to need actual consumption figure and postcodes, I'm afraid.

Chop, chop...

Tooks likes this.
  4. richtrash

richtrash I3 Rex, Solar Orange, Suite, DC Prep

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    I'm with EcoT, with the car allowance and 52 charges they came out slightly cheaper but I have found that I'm not going to manage to use all 52 charges (my own stupid fault for buying an i3) so they are now slightly more expensive.

5. Rupert Holdsworth

Rupert Holdsworth Well-Known Member

I think usage and postcodes can make quite a difference, when I was with Ecotricity it worked out about 150 more a year than a comparable (non green / renewable) tariff for about 6500 kwh per annum; which if you really can use all those free charges might make it semi worthwhile if you want to do something for the environment too.

6. Tooks

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    And that's just for starters if we're to have a proper inquisition!

Should I reserve sir a pitchfork or torch? :)

7. cah197

cah197 Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Tesla Model S
    No-one expects the Ecotricity inquisition.

I'll be here, quietly mashing up a baby seal an hour until he gives us the information we require...

NorthernLeaf likes this.
  8. Tooks

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Great, I've started preparing the kittens...

cah197 likes this.
  9. Kage

Kage Active Member

A lot cheaper companies now...
    Ecotricity aren't even on the same ball park price wise.
    Co-Op is offering a 100% renewable tariff for pretty much what we are paying for non green energy, albeit with slightly higher standing charge of 24 odd p a day for each fuel.

10. Jack

Jack Moderator

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    Just get the default tariff and use energy chooser to pick 100% green sources. That's what I did, having and eating my cake.

11. richtrash

richtrash I3 Rex, Solar Orange, Suite, DC Prep

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    They do a nice Victoria sponge too :D

12. semmtexx

semmtexx Well-Known Member

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    Ooooo that sounds nice. Cup of tea?

13. Kage

Kage Active Member

So go for the standard, and you'll get the green benefits without the added charge?

I just don't understand the monthly direct debit.... 62 odd pounds a month, yet we pay 48 now...
    Do I go for it and then ring up to drop it, and also change debit date to the 1st?

EDIT

Managed to solve the costings. I had estimated the totals wrong so it was giving a higher monthly estimate. Whoops.
    I've gone for it so I'll check this now

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  14. Forester

Forester Active Member

EV:
    Just done a comparison on my current rate which is 4.2p economy 7 and 9.98p day rate, 27p standing charge compared to ecotricity at 6.53p e7 and an eye watering 21.50p day rate and 20.37p standing charge.
    Way way to expensive for me

15. halcyonrichard

halcyonrichard Well-Known Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah Rex, Nissan LEAF 24
    I do not understand the charges. Onshore wind is about the cheapest electricity in the U.K..(levelised cost including capital investment). So either ecotricity are very inefficient or are investing loads in new generating capacity or both. If you want to be green choose the cheapest renewable supplier use some of the savings to buy the most efficient appliances. Then with the extra savings invest in a renewable generator.

Richard

Ryan Noble likes this.
  16. GTE

GTE Well-Known Member

This is often quoted and much misunderstood. It is the cheapest for new generating capacity; they can't you flog you power from something that isn't built yet.

17. ebyard

ebyard Active Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
  18. Tooks

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Another reason why you can't really condemn ET prices as expensive across the country is because they're different everywhere.

In my area, they only offer a 24/7 flat rate, and it was pretty competitive with my old carbon based supplier.

19. halcyonrichard

halcyonrichard Well-Known Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah Rex, Nissan LEAF 24
    They must be dragging their feet quite a bit then. And probably explains why there are cheaper providers about. Even 2 years ago onshore wind was 25% cheaper than coal or gas. Even before that it was at a very small premium of about 10%. These costs include the cost of building the capacity. No need for a premium to "invest in new capacity".

UK ENERGY COSTS.jpg

20. Edd Beesley

Edd Beesley Moderator

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    Hmm, they have a portfolio of turbines, they're not all brand new super efficient models, so they have historic debts which need to be paid. They do also spend some money on the gas mills (grass feedstock) and some amount on home storage, and wave/tidal power research. They've also invested in solar, again, some debts there. They've also subsidised the electric highway pretty heavily, and manage to regularly come in top for customer service - that's also quite expensive to do.

Finally, is question the figures slightly, since there are big subsidies (in all sorts of forms) for the fossil industry, whereas ecotricity has to pay a "green tax" to go towards funding renewables....
    Don't believe me about subsidies? How come fracking applications are being pushed through quickly and overruling local "no" decisions, when wind applications take years and get denied because some local bumpkin thinks it might scare a horse? May not sound like a £ subsidy, but it is.

Ryan and a Zoe, ebyard and GTE like this.