1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

The next time someone says your car is coal powered...

Discussion in 'General EV Discussion' started by Jon72, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Jon72

Jon72 Well-Known Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Then just point them in the direction of this article:

The UK generated more electricity from wind than from coal in the full calendar year of 2016, Carbon Brief analysis shows.

The milestone is a first for the UK and reflects a collapse in coal generation, which contributed just 9.2% of UK electricity last year, with 11.5% from wind. The coal decline saw its output fall to the lowest level since 1935.

Source:
    Analysis: UK wind generated more electricity than coal in 2016 | Carbon Brief

2. AtTheVan

AtTheVan Well-Known Member

Next we need to go after the over 50% natural gas power that we use most days. I know some of it is "green" gas from renewable sources, but most of it is fossil fuel.

It might be cleaner to burn than coal, but it's still a limited resource that's mostly unrenewable.

Jon72 likes this.
  3. Badwolf

Badwolf New Member

My wife says my Leaf is gas powered and I should eat fewer beans and curries

AtTheVan likes this.
  4. knoxie

knoxie Well-Known Member

People are always giving me the long tail pipe argument, I love it most when I chat with folks on the drive whilst I am washing the car in the spring and simply point up at my 6kw solar panels sitting on the roof, kills that part of the conversation dead.:p

5. AtTheVan

The "long tailpipe" argument still doesn't work as even a coal fired power station is more efficient from production to use in your electric car than making fuel in a refinery (with electricity) and then burning petrol in the same kind of car.

6. proddick

proddick Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S, Vauxhall Ampera
    nattydread likes this.
  7. garyk

garyk Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24, Tesla Model S
    Duncan23, E Geeza, GTE and 3 others like this.
  8. AtTheVan

Surely that's only the refinery bit, what about exploration, drilling, extracting, transporting to refinery, transporting from refinery to pumps. That's around 400g of CO2 per km as opposed to the 40g of CO2 for a "coal powered" electric car (according to the linked fully charged episode in that article you quoted)

Admittedly you could say the same about electric cars, but as they are far more efficient at the point of use they must surely be using less resources and energy all the way through the chain.

Not only that, but as we move further from fossil fuels in power stations the electric cars with their "long tailpipes" get cleaner and cleaner. Something that ICE cars certainly don't.

Grum likes this.
  9. gladini

gladini Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    If your car is plugged into a socket of some kind, drinking, here's what could well be feeding that socket:
    G. B. National Grid status

time of typing coal was supplying 17% of the demand

10. AtTheVan

Wow, first time I've seen us exporting to the continent, and 8.6% (around 4GW) from wind is about average it seems lately. The gas is as always around 50% of the load.

11. BSven

BSven Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    I changed to a Green tariff just to counter these allegations, and because it's nice to feel a bit green :)
    The little extra cost was nothing to argue about and hopefully will promote the creation of more green energy sources.

Grum, Jon72, Simon Forrest and 4 others like this.
  12. GTE

GTE Well-Known Member

13. thinfourth

thinfourth Non Member

This

[​IMG]

Or a tesla?

Pass me the shovel

Though the tesla is probably cheaper to buy

Lancpudn, Simon Forrest and GTE like this.
  14. Simon Forrest

Simon Forrest Well-Known Member

^^^ That is a peach,that is what coal should be saved for,at shows n stuff.For years and generations to come.
    The future for transport for the masses is EV though,there is no denying it,much cleaned if gained from re-newables.

15. Hilltop Dave

Hilltop Dave Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    Now how many lb of coal does that lorry burn per mile? With coal-fired power stations typically burning 1lb coal per kWh, a Tesla will probably do better than 2.5 to 3 miles per lb of coal.

16. TVEV

TVEV Active Member

I hope we don't run out of coal. I'll have nothing to give as Christmas presents next year.

AtTheVan and Simon Forrest like this.
  17. GTE

GTE Well-Known Member

Presumably the big area at the back is the fuel tank :)

Simon Forrest likes this.
  18. richtrash

richtrash The older I get the faster I was

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex

Lovely replica, these need to be preserved for future generations to marvel at.

19. Simon Forrest

Simon Forrest Well-Known Member

Replica or renovation? looks like old number plates fitted are pre 1970`s ones,who cares anyway,you don`t see them every day do you,surely you get the gist of the sentiment of preserving some old steam powered vehicles?