1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of buying a Leaf in 2017

Discussion in 'Ice Breakers' started by CleanKing, Jan 4, 2017.

1. CleanKing

CleanKing New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    I have a few questions, having read some of the posts on this forum:
    • How viable is it to charge the battery from a 13amp socket? I am planning to move house soon and don’t want to install a charging unit yet.
    • How easy is it to charge overnight when staying away at a hotel or with friends (assuming they have a drive? Is it a big hassle?
    • How much current does it draw when charging from a 13amp socket? Does it put a strain on the average domestic circuit?
    • •Most people seem to think that the 6.6KW charger is worth buying. Is this: a) to use the 7KW chargers at many car parks? or b) speed up charging at home (with a fixed unit)? Any other advantages.
    • When charging in a car park can you leave the car while you go shopping, etc. for 1 or 2 hours?
    • How bad is depreciation? If I buy a 30KWh Acenta now, what will it have lost after 5 years.
    • Does the Ecotricity app work well? What about the Nissan remote control, it is very complicated to use?
    All advice very welcome.

2. eddiec

eddiec Well-Known Member

I charged my Leaf from a 13 amp socket for a couple of months whilst I waited for my charge point to be fitted. I plugged it in to a socket at the back of my garage and ran the last bit of the cable under the garage door. It was fine but you are looking at well over 12 hours to charge a 30kWh Leaf from empty.

I believe the 3 pin charger pulls 10 amps. This shouldn't put too much strain on a properly wired socket. The socket I used had been running a tumble dryer and my wiring is modern so I knew it was up to the job.

Charging away from home is fine so long as you can park close enough to a 13 amp socket. I charge at my friend's house regularly. If you are using a socket at someone else's property it's a good idea to go out after an hour and check it's not getting too warm.

Lee Dalton likes this.
  3. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

You can but with safety caveats. It's recommended that a specific 3 pin socket be installed direct to your fuse box, just like a household shower. Support the EVSE unit so it's not dangling from the plug. It's a slow 2.2kW charger giving about 8-10 miles range per hour.

As above, safety first and if you are to use an extension cable, use a 13A-16A rated and unwind fully. Also use a splash proof plug cover device (from Masterplug).

Yes, 10A constant, this is the main issue for the safety requirements as the existing ring main and plugs can get hot especially with other potential high drain devices on the same ring.

Yes to both. As a guide you'll get 12-16 mile range per hour with a standard 3.6kW on-board charger even on a 7kW post. With a 6.6kW on-board charger you'll get about double the range in an hour, 24-32 mile. However this is all personal preference and you need to consider , do you need that faster charge and is £1150 worth it when on a PCP. I personally have a 6.6kW fitted and it's great when I'm destination charging.

This is local council specific so check yours and do research. Here in Newcastle upon Tyne, we get free charging and parking with no time limits but Sunderland has a 4 hour time limit.

They fall like a brick! As the technology is evolving many PCP over 2/3 years, hand back and hopefully get the next generation.
    Re the Ecotricity app I've had no issue but like all it can fail. The main issue I have seen with Android is that many apps after an update need their cache cleared, re login and it works.
    The Nissan Connect EV app works well for me. The issue many have is the car has not be activated correctly by the garage. Liaise with your salesperson and register your car and your details on Nissan You+. On handover ensure that the car is communicating fully to Nissan by updating the charge stations and then test the App for a range update.

I produced this leaflet over 2 years ago so is not relevant for the new Nissan Connect EV but hopefully still has some useful information. LEAF Introductory Guide

GregH and jrstan like this.
  4. Dean Hamer

Dean Hamer Well-Known Member

There will be no problem charing on a 3 pin domestic socket. I would double check the connections on the socket (and the whole ring main for that matter) are nice and secure before using on a regular basis. Expect roughly 8-10 miles of range to be added per hour.

Well if they have an outdoor socket the process is simple. If you need to start feeding the cable through a letter box or something it will get a bit messy, remember to completely uncoil the extension reel if you are using one.

It draws 10A. Which is roughly 2200W. Just like using a big convection heater. Bit obviously it's 2200W of continuous load for a few hours where a convection heater will turn on and off depending on the thermostat setting.

6.6kW OBC is great as it provided 25-30 miles range per hour of charging (double the speed of a 3.3kW). If your usage profile can justify the extra cost of a 6.6kW then go for it. In my opinion 6.6kW OBC should be standard with no extra cost but that's a different story :).

You can leave the car plugged in as long as you want. Once the car reaches 100% the charging will stop. But it's common courtesy to move your car once the charging has finished as charging locations are few and far between currently.

I wouldn't recommend buying a LEAF new with cash. Either find a good PCP / Lease deal. Or buy a nearly new LEAF. Once it's lost its depreciation in the first year or so the depreciation isn't that bad TBH.

The ecotricity app has had a few niggles nothing major. But it does dent confidence when you rely on it so much (it's still early days). The Nissan remote app was useless. Since they have updated it to Nissan EV a few months ago it is much much much better. This winter I have had no issues what so ever with putting my remote heating on and it's fairly quick to activate the heating.

All in all, if your looking for an EV with a real world range of 100 miles at an affordable price you really can't go wrong with the 30kWh LEAF.

5. CleanKing

CleanKing New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    Many thanks Eddiec, that's really useful

6. CleanKing

CleanKing New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    Thanks for such a quick and comprehensive response. Really useful.

7. CleanKing

CleanKing New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    I have been wanting to do this for years but not had the courage. I am having a test drive next week so getting closer. Thanks for all the detailed advice, I wasn't sure I could rely on the salesman!

8. Ryan and a Zoe

Ryan and a Zoe Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30, Renault Zoe R240
    You could pick pick up what you are looking for anywhere from about £230 upwards with a 6.6kw on-board charger depending on mileage. At that price it could be more beneficial to just PCP for a few years and then you have the choice between ownership at a predetermined price or upgrading or just giving back like many owners will have to do due to depreciation.
    I may be wrong but I think some people were even offered 0% HP on the GFV of their car after the PCP term expired. There is no guarantee that a scheme like this would be in existence in years to come though.

9. CleanKing

CleanKing New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    Interesting, I will look into PCP but I have always bought outright - perhaps a used car would be best.

10. smartie

smartie Well-Known Member

If you are buying outright you should be able to get a few months old ex demo 30kwh Leaf for £15k or less and a year old 24kwh Leaf for around £10k with no battery lease to worry about.

11. p juster

p juster Member

12. JWilde

JWilde Well-Known Member

You might want to wait a little bit as there are some much bigger battery models coming this year. Nissan have a 40 battery which is the worst kept secret.

A 40 is quite a significant jump from a 30. Since the Bolt has a 60(!) battery we might see one of those too before the end of the year.

13. CleanKing

CleanKing New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    That sounds good, thanks for the advice.

14. CleanKing

CleanKing New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    That's very interesting. Thanks.

15. p juster

p juster Member

16. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Lee Dalton and p juster like this.
  17. Hairy Leafer

Hairy Leafer Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    self driving crossover SUV hybrid with 0.00005kwhr battery.

(I hope I'm very wrong)