Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Type 2 (7Kw) & Type 2 (43Kw)

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  arg 
#1 ·
I know that I can use the Type 2 (7Kw) charge point with both a 3 kw onboard charger and a 6.6Kw onboard charger.

However can I also use a 43Kw charge point with both options of onboard chargers?

#2 ·
Do you mean the AC side of a rapid? If so, no, they have a tethered connector which won't fit the Leaf.
There are some 22kW chargers that aren't tethered - you can use those, though obviously you'll only get 6.6 or 3.6, depending on which on-board charger you have.

#4 ·
Zap Map lists the Type 2 (43Kw) charge points and I was wondering if I could use this as an alternative to the Chademo Rapid chargers when I just want to top up or I have the time to charge on the 6.6 Kw onboard charger. On the face of it, it appears that I only have the option of a Rapid charge which seems a little restrictive.

#6 ·
Zap Map lists the Type 2 (43Kw) charge points and I was wondering if I could use this as an alternative to the Chademo Rapid chargers when I just want to top up or I have the time to charge on the 6.6 Kw onboard charger. On the face of it, it appears that I only have the option of a Rapid charge which seems a little restrictive.
All points over 22kW are tethered cables, so it'll be impossible to plug it into your car before the theoretical ability to charge is even considered!

#7 ·
So, in sumary, the only option for me, for my leaf on motorway services is Chademo Rapid chargers ?

#8 ·
I'm afraid so, unless it's one of the (16?) MSAs which have a 22kW Type 2 socket like Oxford and Leicester Forest East, although EH don't put as much effort into maintaining those...

If you're likely to want or need more time, it's worth looking for 7kW chargers in towns just off the motorway, where facilities are likely to be more interesting and better value and the charging will be cheaper...If you have a route you commonly take I'd be happy to take a look and suggest what I might do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.