1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Used EV prices rising

Discussion in 'General EV Discussion' started by BarryP, Apr 28, 2016.

1. BarryP

BarryP Well-Known Member

2. A1GSS

A1GSS BEV Convert

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    Well having just decided to sink actual money into buying an E Golf I find that most encouraging!

Stead and Tim Ostler like this.
  3. donald

donald Well-Known Member

Unconvinced.

It's not what I am seeing when looking, on a model-by-model basis.

However, what it might allude to is an increase in more expensive EVs coming up for sale, Teslas and GTEs. If you add a few extra £70k cars to the list, the average goes up!

Jon72, captainlk and another like this.
  4. A1GSS

A1GSS BEV Convert

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    Ahah. Stupidly I assumed it was statistically defensible, ie a like for like trend...

5. Paul_Moxhay

Paul_Moxhay Non Member

I have always predicted that BEV/PHEV secondhand values will eventually be higher than normal ICEs. When buying secondhand they save people money. But it needs enough demand before the real values can be realised. Until now demand has been so low that the values have had to drop well below what they should be just to get some liquidity in the market. Now new EV/PHEV sales are picking up a bit and that there is a general but slow increase in public interest I expect secondhand values to start to rise and to eventually rise above ICE values.

Sandy, SCanfer and Brooktop like this.
  6. A1GSS

A1GSS BEV Convert

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    Interesting thought. I'd have bought a used E Golf if I could have found one with leather and at least some of the options I wanted. None with leather at all.

7. Thermostat9

Thermostat9 Non Member

Or the business that advertises used cars says....
    Is 'We've advertised some expensive used Teslas and Outlanders and this puts the average price of all our electric vehicles up.' :rolleyes:

8. markweatherill

markweatherill Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the used iMiev or Fluence ZE is going to see any of this increase...

MoonCat likes this.
  9. Zomb

Zomb Active Member

EV:
    Audi A3 e tron
    With the number of people I see on here talking about keeping their Leaf at the end of the 3 years pcp, no doubt the supply for used ones is going to drop, driving prices up. Or something...

10. A1GSS

A1GSS BEV Convert

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    It seems fragile at the moment, not enough volume to get a good picture.

11. Thermostat9

Thermostat9 Non Member

None of them are. It's a fluff piece spun by Autotrader to generate some interest. I bet all they did is average the price of all the electric and hybrid cars they advertise (not the price they sell for) and come up with that pointless figure.

12. Ready to charge

Ready to charge Well-Known Member

A lot of car magazines and articles are full of ignorance like this. When they said that EVs were losing value faster than any other cars this was because they were adding the 5k grand to the amount actually paid for the vehicles. Now there are more expensive Teslas for sale and think this means that EVs are devaluing more slowly. The truth is there were wrong before and they are wrong again now because their methodology is flawed.

Thermostat9 likes this.
  13. Spirit Driver

Spirit Driver Well-Known Member

So my Leaf is an appreciating asset.

Will be worth a fortune in years to come.

A Brough Superior from the 1930's is worth about £250,000.

Snap up my Leaf now for £25,000 cash and you'll have something to pass on to your grandchildren that they can sell at Sotheby's and earn a mint.

Duncan23 and Jim like this.
  14. donald

donald Well-Known Member

Classic 'barn finds' that fire up are going to be a thing of the past. The days are gone when you could find an old ICE that had been parked up for 50 years and it'd crank over and fire up after a fluid change. Electronics will corrode over, true of ICE too these days, but batteries will die when too old.

15. garyk

garyk Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24, Tesla Model S
    Just because you're right, Donald, doesn't mean that I don't find your observation depressing. I had no interest in modern vehicles until EVs came along.

I have just sold my old Land Rover which was my last remaining pre-ECU vehicle (the Triumph 2.5 PI went a few months ago). I sold both for ~30% more than I paid for them despite the added 20k miles and 8 years wear and tear.

Duncan23, Stead and donald like this.
  16. garyk

garyk Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24, Tesla Model S
  17. BSven

BSven Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    I don't think the article was too bad.
    There was a lot of details from a very big data set and as long as you remember where it comes from it still provides some decent information. For example it also compares with Diesel and Petrol cars and breaks it down between PHEV and BEV so there are various comparison points.
    So there is no major bias to big-up EV's I would have thought.

Interesting article, if nothing else for the next pub-chat ;)

18. donald

donald Well-Known Member

:LOL::ROFLMAO:
    I have a suspicion that is not an uncommon response!

I totally agree with the sentiment. I had lost interest and was beginning to yearn for my old diesel W115.

Before getting the Fluence I was seriously reviewing post-war cars with the view that driving around in something where the most complex electrical part is an electromechanical headlight relay may not be the cheapest on fuel, but as most problems could be fixed with a screwdriver and a hammer it'd be just as cheap in the long run and just as cool.

Stead and garyk like this.
  19. John419

John419 Active Member

EV:
    Citroen C Zero
    Autotrader seems to show the cost of iMievs and clones going down. When I bought my Zero early March, I thought I was lucky to get one for £5600. Now most seem to be under £6K with only two with asking prices of £7500.

20. Spirit Driver

Spirit Driver Well-Known Member

Don't agree. "Barn finds" will still happen.

50 years from now a 100 kWh battery the size of a briefcase, that will just plug into a barn find Leaf, will be used to "fire up" the car. New tyres, brakes. brake fluid, etcetera, liberal spray of WD40 on all the electronic circuits, and the car will be back on the road.