1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

VW cuts 30,000 jobs - creates 9,000

Discussion in 'General VW EV Forum' started by MrPaulus, Nov 19, 2016.

1. MrPaulus

MrPaulus Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
  2. cah197

cah197 Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model X
    The lesson here is don't rip people off because your ICE technology can't keep up with legislation...

SmurfUK76 likes this.
  3. Silverback

Silverback Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    What do forum members think about this announcement? 30000 wordwide with 23000 to go in Germany over the next four years (by natural wastage) but 9000 new jobs created as VW changes focus to electric and self driving vehicles.
    Perhaps the longer range GTE could yet arrive?
    Silverback

4. Tooks

Tooks Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    I feel sorry for anybody who wasn't directly involved in the whole emissions thing who loses their job, but if it's via natural leavers or voluntary exit packages then that's not too bad I suppose.

It's often better to try and make a positive out of a negative, so in that sense if it helps one of the biggest car companies in the world change direction and start to focus on other products that are better for us all in the long term, then that's good.

I'd have thought it's inevitable that we'll get a 'longer range' GTE, but don't expect too much as it's a PHEV and already a very good one for its intended use. If you need 'more electric' then other better options are available...

5. andrew*debbie

andrew*debbie Moderator

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30
    VW are thinking farther out than a larger battery in the GTE.

I expect big changes in the 2020 to 2025 lineup.

Near term VW have to be asking which would be better: a longer EV range GTE or a lower cost GTE?

6. Tim Ostler

Tim Ostler Well-Known Member

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    I was searching the forum because I was sure I posted a message on a news item a few weeks back that VW expected to need about many thousand less workers as a direct result of the greater simplicity of electric cars vs ICEs. I presume this is a separate issue though.

In any case they have agreed no compulsory redundancies and have cleared it with the unions, so not necessarily bad news, especially in Germany where I suspect people will have more success getting alternative work than might be the case in parts of the auK.

7. donald

donald Well-Known Member

I think proposing to reduce the workforce in 27,984 years time is being a bit adventurous with their forward planning.

8. richtrash

richtrash The older I get the faster I was

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    Fail to plan, plan to fail :p

donald likes this.
  9. Paul

Paul Speak EV Founder Speak EV Supporter

Merged a couple of threads on the same topic here :)

10. Siraff

Siraff Well-Known Member

I'm amazed no one has seen through the emissions "scandal" so far. VW have a massive loyal customer base - a lot of whom love the TDi's. They couldn't just drop TDi's without good reason and the usual people wouldn't see new emissions regs as a decent reason since a lot of makers will continue to churn out ice's for as long as possible.

Now VW gets to drop TDi's without too many complaints and can throw investment at ev's/phev's while selling the ice's as run out's over the next 10-15 years. The obvious side benefit being that it puts a big black cloud over diesels so hits the cheaper competition at the same time - all while giving them reason to cut staffing and resource costs.

If anyone thinks they got caught out and it wasn't on purpose you're kidding yourselves.

11. donald

donald Well-Known Member

Awww, that's ruined my pun on the title!

12. MrPaulus

MrPaulus Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    ... or anyone who thinks this is a clever internal conspiracy is deluded.

Tooks likes this.
  13. Tooks

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Seems like a massively complicated way to switch production strategies to me? It relies on third parties discovering the issue for a start.

Why wouldn't they just do their strategic planning as normal?

No, just like an e-golf, I'm finding it hard to buy...

Matt Beard, MrPaulus and cah197 like this.
  14. Siraff

Siraff Well-Known Member

So the updated software the cars have been getting is showing no difference in normal driving but doesn't have the cheat device in there. Why would they bother if there wasn't a very noticeable difference? Then why would they make it so obvious and so blatant?
    We're talking about one of the largest car makers in the world and you honestly think they couldn't do better than that?

15. Tooks

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    I think the jury is out on whether recalled cars are really no different in terms of performance or pollution.

VW have had to spend time and money developing tailored maps for each model since the scandal broke, and also the 1.6 diesel requires a hardware mod as well as a software update to be compliant again, and it's money that they should have spent at the time they were releasing the models. There's incentive enough IMO.

I think the 'defeat device' is no more than a clever engineer coming up with what they thought was a great idea to ensure on the face of it that VW diesels easily met emissions regs without costly software development or hardware mods. VW were locked in an arms race with BMW et al for a share of the huge fleet market at the time. Did you ever wonder how it's possible that two companies released cars with identical power and performance figures at every release?

But to suggest that somebody came up with an idea that would end up costing them at least circa $20 billion and incalculable reputational damage just so that they could change direction strategically, something that they could do anyway for lower cost and without upsetting customers or countries?

No, just like the e-up, nobody is buying it...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
Possibly Related Discussions… - cuts 000 jobs
  1. Paul
    Replies:
    Views: