1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

VW to announce all new BEV

Discussion in 'General VW EV Forum' started by Davidx, Aug 17, 2016.

1. proddick

proddick Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S, Vauxhall Ampera
    Meanwhile, in Sunny California journalists have driven a Bolt 235 miles on one charge. IMO VW will be too late for US market where their reputation is in tatters.

Of course In UK I am sure everyone is waiting patiently for a nice VW badged EV to put on their drive as German cars are so honest and reliable. No fines or compensation here :censored:

2. Tahirs

Tahirs Active Member

EV:
    Audi A3 e tron
    I've had a lot of VAG cars over the years, I have to say my A4 Avant was a LOT better than my BMW 320 GT is, our (old model) XC90 is brilliant in a lot of ways but the last VAG diesel that noisy was probably 15 yrs ago, interior quality on a similar model year VW is better. If there was an eGolf out now with 200 miles of range I'd buy it, VAG make really nice cars.

Whether they make it in the US or not they will in the next couple of years have very good EVs, as will all the European manufacturers (can't wait to see the new Volvos, the new XC90 is gorgeous inside and out).

Paul Newport likes this.
  3. proddick

proddick Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S, Vauxhall Ampera
    I was being ironic - I guess doesn't work in a forum... Lots of examples but here is one. My brother in law thinks all cars get unreliable after 3 years but he has only ever bought German...

German cars lose out in reliability survey

4. Tahirs

Tahirs Active Member

EV:
    Audi A3 e tron
    Can't argue on reliability, German cars are crap compared to far Eastern, although my A4 had very little go wrong in 180,000 miles over 10 years.

5. Jasmin

Jasmin Active Member

Blinging it up with gimmicks would be a bad way to go for VW, in my view. Firstly because VWs image has always been that of "sensible, reliable, conservative" cars. Not inspiring, but sell in droves to people who want understated cars with a reputation of reliability and consistent quality - the reality doesn't matter, that's what the buyers want, and feel they can get.

Many of the people who buy VWs probably aren't interested in the hi-tech futurism of EVs, but rather in the bottom line savings on maintenance and fuel - and would feel most comfortable with EVs that look and feel familiar - much like the current E-Golf/E-up.

Go for a new platform, make the most of the space and go for a skateboard design (flat tray base built around the battery), shorten the bonnet as much as you can with conventional styling, push the cabin forward, and sling the motor itself on the rear axle to give RWD and super-tight turning circle. Hey presto, small car, big battery, lots of cabin space and way better handling and manoeuvrability than an ICE, and almost as clean as those squeaky clean diesels and bluemotion things. What more does the European market want than that? Oh, yeah, make the damn thing affordable. Anyone who can sell an electric car for under £500 per kw/h is going to be popular. If the yanks can at GM can do it, how hard can it be? Sure it'll steal some of your ICE profits, but guess what? Sooner or later you are going to have to go electric anyway. Might as well make a virtue out of necessity.

6. Tim Ostler

Tim Ostler Well-Known Member

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
  7. BlackLeaf

BlackLeaf Well-Known Member

Mmm, this close I would be expecting more than sketches and CGI renders. Smells like more smoke and mirrors.

Possibly Related Discussions… - announce BEV
  1. charles545587
    Replies:
    Views: