1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

VW working on a new mass-market EV

Discussion in 'General VW EV Forum' started by Tim Ostler, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Edd Beesley

Edd Beesley Moderator

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    300 miles is not impressive anymore, Model S 90D gets 340 miles on the NEDC.

MoonCat likes this.
  2. Thermostat9

Thermostat9 Non Member

I think a race to greater range will tend to be doomed by increasing weight.

Personally I think a realistic 300km (180 miles) if combined with a decent charge network will be a good combination of price and utility.

3. Simon Hewison

Simon Hewison Well-Known Member

VW need to be able to produce sell the EV models they already have; sure, a new model will come along at some time. At the moment, the dealers aren't interested.

Yesterday, I walked into a VW dealership - one that I knew had a charge point installed - so they should know something about their EV range.

"Hello, could you show me an eGolf or eUp?"
    "Ah, we don't sell them, we're not allowed to".. (checks with manager)
    Manager: "We haven't got any on display, we did have. We sold them. They're selling too quickly, and VW can't make enough of them".

So, who do I believe? At the moment, neither salesmen.

4. Tim Ostler

Tim Ostler Well-Known Member

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    Sadly that is all too true. The VW dealer network will need to have a brain transplant before VW's new electric vehicle mission can ever bear fruit. That may also extend to VW UK, who in my experience have shown shocking apathy in this area.

Some people would choose to refuse to buy a VW EV to punish them for this attitude. Personally I see this as cutting off your nose to spite your face. Why deprive yourself of such a sublime drive simply because it happens to be sold by twunts..?

5. Simon Hewison

Simon Hewison Well-Known Member

Maybe Tesla and their direct sales has the answer to selling the proposition of EVs to the public, and only having EVs in their showrooms, which have never sold ICE vehicles?

My experience with VW showroom and a Nissan showroom probably explains why I drive a Nissan. (Well, actually, it's because neither eGolf or eUp were on the UK market at the time)

6. Ralf

Ralf Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Actually, to be fair, my local dealer did seem to love the GTE. There was always one in the showroom, two demonstrators and a couple on the forecourt. They moved the cars around a fair bit, but the GTE seemed to often be the centre piece, at least half the times when I visited. The first day I went into the dealership and was looking at it, a couple of salesmen who commented on it to me gave me the impression that the knew as much about it as the other cars.

I was mostly dealing with a relatively new salesgirl who gave me a test drive in a Scirroco (I've always loved them and wanted a side-by-side comparison to the GTE) but the main salesman took over from her for my GTE test drive because he said he knew a lot about the GTE and she hadn't been out in the car herself yet, so she came as a passenger to learn more about the car herself. During the test drive, he clearly knew what he was talking about and made sure he explained and demonstrated all the GTE features. He also gave me over 30 minutes on the test drive, so I could try out all the different modes on a variety of roads from twisty country lanes to a 5 mile stretch of dual carriageway.

It was slightly different when I came to sign up - he seemed convinced that the sat nav was on the base GTE (I know this was a recent change across the rest of the Golf range), but then kept managing to find the GTE Nav when quoting prices! He also didn't know anything about car-net and had to delegate that question to another salesman - although to be fair, it wouldn't have been enabled on any of their MY15 demonstrators anyway, and the other salesman did seem very clued up.

On the whole, I'd say it was a very positive experience - the dealer knew about the GTE, what made it special and didn't try to sway me towards an ICE-only car, and moreover they were prepared to go the distance to make sure that I knew what was special about the GTE too.

My comparison was Nissan who promised me an extended test drive over the phone, then over a couple of weeks punted me from dealer to dealer, each who (unbeknownst to the Nissan UK) didn't actually offer the extended test drive, before saying I could try a dealership 15 miles from home (my local Nissan dealer is less than a mile from my house) and they didn't know when they'd be able to let me do the test drive anyway. By that time, I'd already tried the GTE and loved it, so I never did find out if the Leaf would have been a viable option or not.

7. Tim Ostler

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    I don't suggest that the situation with the GTE is comparable with that for the eGolf. The GTE has been (at least initially) well-promoted and also offers the retailers rich pickings in servicing possibilities. Meanwhile there is little awareness of the eGolf, as evidenced by the fact that retailers I speak to often assume I have a GTE and even once I've told them otherwise they still ask me if it is a hybrid or is fully electric.

8. donald

donald Well-Known Member

VW dealers seem to be a parlour-hypnotists trick. (You can only hypnotize someone who is already susceptible.) They pick [customers] who already believes VW can deliver superior cars.

@Simon Hewison, saying one thing and then saying something completely different a moment later was 'the test'. If you were still in the showroom at that point and not walking away in disbelief, they knew you were a VW prospect because you'll believe anything they say after that.

BlackLeaf likes this.
  9. Oli

Oli Well-Known Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    The thing is, GTEs sell themselves. They offer a unique combination of 'sportiness', low lease costs/BIK and brand image in their sector. They're a no brainier. eGolfs on the other hand, whilst being a perfectly good car don't really offer abything other than brand image and perceived quality over the competition. They're more expensive and don't offer as good range. I can see why as a retailer you could view them as a bit of a ball ache, and my guess is they get 50 GTE enquiries for every eGolf.

So, as and when VW have an electric car which offers a unique value/range/quality/image proposition, dealers will be all over it and they'll sell loads. Now I just hope it happens before my lease is up.

10. Tim Ostler

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    I have to argue with you on that! ;)

They're more expensive than a Leaf, grant you (but make up for that in the depreciation), but until the 30kWH Leaf came along they got about the same range if a bit more (an issue soon to e addressed); while anyone who has test-driven both will say that the driving experience is qualitatively better.

The GTE is certainly an attractive proposition, granted, and I almost got one myself. But given that it is the EV mode that all PHEV drive talk about and seek to optimise (and are often disappointed by how little they get), I didn't see why I should pay extra for much lower electric range...

11. Ralf

Ralf Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    The eGolf will definitely become a little more attractive for orders after the end of March and a lot more attractive after next April.

12. Tim Ostler

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    I take it you're referring to the switch in OLEV incentives...?

13. smartie

smartie Well-Known Member

Why?

14. smartie

Only relevant if you are a cash buyer. For PCP purchases or leases, it's the cost of the PCP/Lease period that counts, and atm the deals on the Leaf for both 24kwh and 30kwh and much more attractive than those on the e-Golf.

Also other factors such as the much higher number of Chademo rapids vs CCS could be important to consider.

15. markweatherill

markweatherill Well-Known Member

...maybe VED!

16. billysielu

billysielu Well-Known Member

Both I think.

17. smartie

But that applies to all BEVs not just the e-Golf.

18. billysielu

billysielu Well-Known Member

19. Ralf

Ralf Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Yeah, I meant that right now the e-Golf and the GTE are basically the same for tax purposes, so it's preference as to which you prefer. As of next month, the grant reduces by £500 for BEV and £2500 for PHEV. For any vehicles from April 2017, a PHEV will be £140 per year more expensive. So over a lifetime of 10 years, that's almost £4000 difference.

The e-Golf is currently around £2k cheaper at RRP. When the difference is £6k, it'll surely be more popular.

20. proddick

proddick Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S, Vauxhall Ampera
    Yes dealers are happy to sell PHEVs. They can up sell people to them who would have bought a basic, cheap Golf 1.4 with the magical, mystery MPG figure, children saving low emissions and "all your commuting" EV range. They like that the oily bits need servicing. They don't have to explain charging and can brush it off "plug into a 13A socket at home if you can be bothered".

Cynical? Maybe, but far easier than selling a 100 mile range BEV.

Tesla salespeople only have BEVs and Nissan dealers have Leaf targets to meet.

Possibly Related Discussions… - working mass market
  1. Tuftybunny
    Replies:
    Views: