1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Want to switch to Ecotricity for Gas and Electric but it's so expensive

Discussion in 'General Charging Discussion' started by Leccy, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Leccy

Leccy Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    Was looking to change to Ecotricity for my gas and electricity.

Was expecting to pay more but according to uswitch it would be an extra £381 per year compared to what I'm currently paying.

Can't really justify this much extra spend.

Shame really as I would have loved to go for the green option.

2. RickMGoldie

RickMGoldie Well-Known Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    That's odd. It didn't cost me any extra when I switched. I was on EDF economy 7 before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. RickMGoldie

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Get a quote from Ecotricity themselves, don't trust switch websites.

4. Leccy

Leccy Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    IMG_1278.PNG I must be on a really good deal. Either that or uswitch is wrong.

See pic.

5. srichards

srichards Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    There are other green suppliers. Octopus do a total green energy plan.

Check ecotricity's own site as well to confirm.

I use the money saving expert comparison system, cheap energy club. If there is a good green deal out there they'll find it.

6. Inkpen

Inkpen Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    I'm on a Sainsbury's Energy "Extra Russian Coal Power" tariff which is 8p per kWh. As much as I would like to use the wind power, Ecotricity windmills are nearly twice the price of my Russian coal. Obviously the Eco doesn't stand for economical.

Spirit Driver likes this.
  7. andrew*debbie

andrew*debbie Moderator

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30
    Have you tried quoting electricity and gas separately? For us, Ecotricity is competitive for electricity but insanely expensive for gas.

Ecotricity did just raise prices. First time in years. I should re-run the comparisons.

Leccy likes this.
  8. BSven

BSven Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    I'm on OVO Greener energy, fully renewable. It was only 1p more than their "Better" plan but I can live with that.
    However, the "Russian" coal is still a lot cheaper if that is what you compare with

BeeJay and Leccy like this.
  9. RickMGoldie

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Try Good Energy as well

Tim Ostler likes this.
  10. Sandy

Sandy Zoe Devotee

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210
    I'm with British Gas, I live in a village that is pretty much surrounded by Wind farms.... pretty sure my energy is greener than most Ecotricity customers. Unless British Gas have a special way of filtering the green energy away and supplying me with Nuclear.

11. gladini

gladini Active Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Don't forget it's also a postcode lottery
    Mike in Manchester can get deal X from Company Y , but Barbara in Bristol can't.
    Also some deals stuff you on gas rates when you get a good electrical one, but you have to get dual fuel deal to get the cheaper electrical charge.

For example I just looked at the sainsburys website, and it wants my postcode before it will show me charges.
    It then offers 4 schemes, the lowest Elec is 9.29 (vs what @Inkpen gets) but says it is best for low gas users, which suggests the Gas rate will indeed stuff me.
    I'd lurve 8p a unit even if Gas went up a bit.

12. RickMGoldie

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    They do! It's about where they buy their wholesale from. You don't pay for individual electrons with labels! So the electricity you use is as green as your suppliers' purchasing plans. Good Energy guarantee to provide all the electricity their customers buy from generators that only supply renewable energy. Ecotricity generate as much of their customer's demand from their own generation plant - not sure the percentage top-up from the market but it's not a lot, and they also guarantee to put all profits back into new renewable generating capacity. There is the difference. It really matters who you buy from not what generators are nearby, unless it's your own solar PV or wind turbine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Tim Ostler, DebC, Bob Mingay and 2 others like this.
  13. RickMGoldie

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Where do you suppose switch get their profit from? They are there to support the old established generation which then demands subsidies to meet market prices. There must be inducement to pick the highest Ecotricity tariff to compare against the most discounted big six offers. Ask Ecotricity themselves - they promise to match the primary supplier in your area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

furriephillips likes this.
  14. JWilde

JWilde Well-Known Member

Don't forget that Dale lives in an actual CASTLE. It costs a lot of money to maintain them.

Huw EV likes this.
  15. furriephillips

furriephillips Member

I moved to Ecotricity because I was disgusted with BG's fracking agenda and the rest of the big guys are all similarly well liked by their customers. Seriously, customer service is shocking, but not in Ecotricity - this has been the most pleasant experience I've ever had, with a utility supplier. I wanted to support their no-frack attitude and their investment in renewable generation, and their electric highway - a seriously great idea, whether free, or not.

Yeah, there are differences in standing charges and the unit costs, but I guess the bulk of the cost, really depends on how much you use...

My usage was out of control & my bills were crazy, so I invested in an electricity usage monitor and this allowed me to identify devices that suck power. Something like this (mine was less pretty, years ago): -
    [​IMG]

A little example of the things this showed me, is that leaving my microwave switched on, meant that I'd be spending £12/year, for the privilege of seeing the time on it - I now switch it off at the wall, after every use.

After a couple of day's assessment, I bought several radio-controlled plug-sockets, like this (again, mine were less nice): -

[​IMG]

I used several 1m 4-Gang extensions: -

[​IMG]

I connected any devices that required constant power (like my TiVo and clock-radio), directly from the house sockets (or an extension, if there were a few).

For any items that do not need to stay on, they are powered via the RC-sockets (multiple devices, via a 4-Gang extension, totalling <13A). I power them all off when I go to bed, and when I leave for work.

There was an initial capital outlay, but it was paid for within 3 months - I literally smashed my power usage in a single weekend.

Because I am a massive geek, I now have all the items in my home, somewhat automatically controlled. My RC-sockets are controlled by "Domoticz" (an Open Source home automation software, running on a Raspberry Pi), which allows me to switch stuff on/off remotely, via a web interface. I have some standard lamps that have individual RC-sockets. I even have my electricity monitor and weather station, feeding in to the home automation system, logging everything and keeping track of trends.

Check out Domoticz - it's awesome!

[​IMG]

You can even place the switches logically, on a floor plan and use them by clicking the icons: -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've gone a bit mad with it, but it's so much fun.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  16. Orrery

Orrery Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30
    Ecotricity was more expensive for me, but with the £40 discount for having an electric car and the £10 discount for dual fuel, it came out about the same as a dirty supplier in the end - and now I get a free usage of the chargers too (I'm an infrequent user). It will depend on your consumption though.

furriephillips likes this.
  17. Leccy

Leccy Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    Thanks. Will try this.

18. Leccy

Leccy Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    Thanks. Will check them out.

Does the software communicate to the RC switches? How? I have a PI and some RC switches but I can only control the switches using the remote supplied.

19. Simon Hewison

Simon Hewison Well-Known Member

Sadly, the price for energy in the UK varies from region to region, due to the varied fees and standing charges levied by the monopoly DNOs and National Grid, who have been putting up their prices that they charge energy providers to transport the energy (electricity and gas).

The only real solution to this is a lot more microgeneration, which works fairly easily for electricity, but far bigger build costs for gas (digesters aren't small, and unless the feedstock is already on site (sewage plant, dairy herd etc), has transportation issues, which tends to bog down planning applications).

That, or renationalisation of the energy networks, which is hardly likely to happen with the current government.

Bob Mingay and RickMGoldie like this.
  20. richtrash

richtrash The older I get the faster I was

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex

You can do it yourself by just setting up a spread sheet with your current usage and supplier costs then copying it and replacing the costs and also factoring in the free charges etc, it's worth doing because you can then use it to check against other suppliers as well, once set up it only takes a few minutes to enter the figures.