1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to find a 240v charger w/ L14-20 plug

Discussion in 'General Charging Discussion' started by Pat M., Jan 6, 2017.

1. Pat M.

Pat M. New Member

I am looking to purchase a 240v charger to use both at home and work. Unfortunately, I can’t find one that has the L14-20p plug that works with our receptacle at work. Mercedes mentions not to use any adapters with the chargers as this could damage the electrical system.

The receptacle at work is 20 amps and there are some 25amp chargers running 20 amps consistently outside. Clipper Creek recommended using only a 20amp charger that runs 16amps so as not to damage the receptacle/system. Comments?

Any recommendations on what to use and where to purchase? I have flexibility as I have not installed the 240v receptacle at home yet. I was hoping to get one 240v charger that could be used both at home and at work with no adapter.

Help!

2. Flyguy

Flyguy Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    @Pat M. Are you based in the US ? It's just that the vast majority of members here are based in the U.K. As such, I suspect there is not a lot of expertise here regarding your problem I'm afraid....

cgiAlexis likes this.
  3. cgiAlexis

cgiAlexis Active Member

Hey, you're talking about a portable EVSE right? Using adaptors won't damage your car's systems but if you exceed the current rating of your adaptors then you can cause big issues (fire mainly)

What exact model of EVSE are you using and can you provide a link? If it's a switching one like you can buy, you just switch it down to 20A mode

I'd also find one of these adapters rated at 25A if I were you NEMA 14-50R to L14-20P Twist-Lock Adapter

Hth

4. Pat M.

Pat M. New Member

I am in the U.S. Yes, looking at portable chargers. I am looking at this 20 amp or 16 amp charger from Clipper Creek with a Nema 14-50 plug. I will have to go with this plug as it is the only one where I can find an adapter to the L14-20p needed to plug in at work. Let me know if anyone has other adapter sites that have different plug adapters to the L14-20p. (for Nema 14-30 or L6-30) Appreciate the feedback. Btw I couldn't find the rating on the adapter above to be sure it could handle 25 amps.

20A Level 2 EVSE LCS-25P with NEMA 14-50 | ClipperCreek
    16A Level 2 EVSE LCS-20P with NEMA 14-50 | ClipperCreek

5. proddick

proddick Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S, Vauxhall Ampera
    Do you plan on using the charger just at work? If so why not get a lower cost EVSE and change the plug? One on Amazon at $299 with decent reviews.